Monday, April 2, 2012

B IS FOR "BOOKS BOX"

“The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.”


-Dr. Seuss, I Can Read With My Eyes Shut!
________________________________________________________________________


Our Little Man has a truly amazing ability to overcome his Autism-induced communication impairments and to come up with unique ways of communicating what exactly it is he wants.  Here are a few of his unique phrases from the last few days – along with the accompanying translation:


“Hold on Tight ”            - Piggy Back Ride.
“Bag Planets”                -The most recent set of planets we purchased for him (yes we have multiple sets)
“Sunscreen Feet”           - Foot massage with baby oil (no you can't have one too)
“Nunchuck”                   - The magnet which unlocks the entertainment center.

I mentioned some of this before in my prior post about our quest to find the mysterious “Grocery Store.”    (See: Grocery Store Post) We recently had to add a new phrase to our investigative files:

“BOOKS BOX.”

The Little Man comes over to me the other night and says:   “Daddy, I want to go bye-byes in the car to the Books Box.” 

When he first uttered that request, I thought I misheard him, or that he might be pronouncing a word wrong, so I had him write it down on our chalkboard.  Sure enough Books Box was what he wanted.    Really?  As we learned from the fact that going “bye-byes in the car to the grocery store” does NOT mean he wants to go to the grocery store, I figured “Books Box” probably had nothing to do with books.  But he was persistent.  So much so, he went over to get his shoes and coat on.  We were definitely going somewhere.  But where?

The easy guess was the library, right?   I know he knows what the library is, and how to say that.  But, still I wrote on the chalkboard:  “Do you want to go to the library.”  He happily grabbed the chalk and wrote “YES!”  Big Problem.  It was 9 PM – and the library personnel had already turned into pumpkins. 
Fall black plan- Bookstore. 

So I write: “Do you want to go to Barnes & Noble.”  I was really not sure he knew what Barnes & Noble was.  He responded with a chalk-written “YES.”

And off we went that night…and the next…and 3 of the next 5 nights.  We have created a monster. 

But, I have to admit, it is so sweet and cute now when he asks specifically to go “bye-byes in the car to the Books Box Barnes & Noble.”  It’s almost impossible to say no.  He asks every day and every night.  

Buy some stock in Barnes & Noble!

4 comments:

  1. I'd love to go to the Book Box every night too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this. I find it cute too. How wonderful that he loves books. I couldn't think of anything better to lift him into another world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely story. Thank you for showing us a positive side to Autism. I love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi. I came by from the A-Z challenge to read your post. I ended up reading a great deal of the popular posts on your blog. Your story is very personal, courageous, and inspiring. I'm glad I found it. :o)

    ReplyDelete